Canadian Experience Class



If you are at least 18 years old and:


A Canadian Citizen


A Permanent Resident of Canada

A person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Indian Act

Then, you can sponsor your spouse, partner, dependent children, parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada.



Note: Permanent residency of sponsored spouses or partners are no longer dependent on them living with their sponsor for two years.

  • Under this category an eligible citizen or a permanent resident of Canada can sponsor their spouse; common-law partner; conjugal partner or their dependent child. To be eligible for a permanent residency the applicant must not be inadmissible to Canada.
  • A spouse; common-law partner; or a conjugal partner can be sponsored if they are at least 18 years old and the relationship is genuine. Under any circumstances if it is proved that they entered the relationship just to get a permanent residency in Canada, the application may be rejected.
  • If you’re sponsoring your spouse or partner under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada Class, they must live with you in Canada. They also may be eligible for an open work permit.
  • Sponsoring a dependent child: a dependent child is someone who depends on their parent for financial or other support.
  • They must be:

    Under 22 years old and do not have a spouse or partner, or
    22 or more years of age and has depended substantially on the parent’s financial support since before the age of 22 because of a physical or mental condition.

A complete set of application must be filed for each dependent child.


  • Apart from the basic requirements for you in order to sponsor your parents of grandparents to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must be able to prove that you will be supporting them financially when they arrive while being able to provide for your own needs as well. You also need to make sure that they won’t need any social assistance from the government when they are in Canada.
  • To apply for a parent or grandparent sponsorship, you need to submit an online application to show your interest. Submissions are accepted by the IRCC, reviewed, checked for duplicates and then randomly select a specific number of applications with an invitation to apply.

The online submission form to show your interest closed at noon on February 2, 2017. IRCC is no longer accepting submissions. Over 95,000 people expressed their interest to sponsor their parent or grandparent this year (2017) out of which 10,000 applications were selected randomly for an invitation to apply for the sponsorship.


  • You may be eligible to sponsor some of your relatives to Canada who do not fall under the above two mentioned categories.

  • Orphaned close relatives: An orphaned close relative who is under the age of 18 and without a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner may be sponsored. They need to be related to you by blood or adoption (siblings, nephews, nieces, grandchildren).
  • Other relatives: You may sponsor one relative of any age who is blood-related or adopted under the condition that you don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle or aunt and nephew or niece. These relatives should not already be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.

To sponsor a relative to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must meet set income guidelines, and should be able to financially support them beginning on the date they become permanent resident until the age of 20. The person who is being sponsored also has a responsibility to make an effort to support their own expenses.

Complete Immigration Solutions

Complete Immigration Solutions